Have you been irritable or unhappy lately? Does it feel that the world has been unleashing a heavy load on you? Well, just hang in there. You are not alone. For all you know, you might not be suffering from depression. Sometimes, hormonal changes can also add havoc to all the changes happening in your life.
If you feel like your life has been in a funk lately, again, just hang in there. There is always help. Depression can be treated. Seek help. Reach out to friends and family. There are health professionals in school who are always available to help.
Here are some signs that you may be suffering from symptoms of depression (1):
– Negativity in your thinking and behavior
– The need to become withdrawn from everyone and isolating yourself
– Sleeping excessively and not eating
– Complaints of pains, including headaches, stomachaches, low back pain, or fatigue
– Difficulty concentrating
– Difficulty making decisions
– Excessive or inappropriate guilt
– Irresponsible behavior for example, forgetting obligations, being late for classes, skipping school
– Loss of interest in food or compulsive overeating that results in rapid weight loss or gain
– Memory loss
– Preoccupation with death and dying
– Rebellious behavior
– Sadness, anxiety, or a feeling of hopelessness
– Staying awake at night and sleeping during the day
– Sudden drop in grades
– Use of alcohol or drugs and promiscuous sexual activity
– Withdrawal from friends and family
There are a variety of ways to treat depression. The important thing is make sure to reach out to someone. You will be surprised that a lot of people will be willing to help: family, friends, teachers, or health professionals. There is nothing wrong with seeking help.
Just take the first step. Just reach out now. Again, there is always someone willing to help. Sunshine is just around the corner.